An aquarium can seem very daunting for a beginner, and the truth is that there is a lot of trial and error involved as well as personal preferences to be made. However, there are some things that are very important regardless of what you like, such as how to keep the tank clean and the fish healthy. The following are some great tips to help you look after your aquarium.
- To begin with make sure that you buy a fairly large aquarium as this will allow you to have more fish. Too many people buy a small aquarium to start without realising that fish need more space to breathe properly. 20 to 25 gallon tanks are a good place to start. Not only will fish be able to breath but the larger tank will allow for the temperature gradient to be more uniform. This will result in your aquarium having an overall better chemistry so that the algae and bacteria that your fish need grow properly.
- When planning how many fish to buy remember that you should have about one gallon of water per every one inch of fish. Therefore, you need to plan on having no more fish than your tank measures in gallons if you want everyone to stay healthy. Overcrowding will lead to sickly – and often dead – fish.
- Next, do not be afraid to let bacteria grow inside of the fish tank. It is especially beneficial if you let it grow near the sides, filter and sponges of the tank. This is because the bacteria helps to purify the water and will keep the fish healthy. Make sure not to wash the filters with tap water to protect them, instead just use the fish water to rinse them off.
- When it comes time to feed the fish make sure that you are not over feeding them. Try to make sure that all of the food is gone before you feed them again; otherwise this can lead to unhealthy buildup. It also will be a waste of food and likely cause your aquarium water to take on a dirty looking hue.
- Finally, be sure that you make time to regularly clean out your aquarium. Solid waste can start to build up in the tank that is harmful to the fish or the plants in the tank, so planning to clean and change the water on a monthly or weekly basis is a great idea. It will also help keep your aquarium looking clean and attractive.